The Gratitude Fix: Ordinary

/
0 Comments
Ordinary...

Just an ordinary day - Pushing play early and distracting my child with Disney Jr!


The thought of working out at home, for some us, can be hard to wrap our brain's around. There are so many excuses out there, like: I'm too tired, or I have too many chores to get done, or my personal favorite...my kids won't let me!

I love this excuse the most, because let's be honest here! We are the adults. If anything, we shouldn't let our children dictate whether or not we get to take 30 minutes out of our day for ourselves. Sounds harsh, I know, but it's the honest truth!

When our babies are newbies, they nap a lot, right? That's a window of opportunity, right off the bat, to squeeze in a workout. The dishes and laundry can wait. You may need to be flexible some days, because let's face it, our schedules are not always on point every single day with a newborn, but that's ok! Not to mention, you'd be surprised what a 30 minute workout can do for your energy level when you're sleep deprived, and lacking the motivation! I can't even tell you how many times I'd workout while my son napped, then have the energy to quickly knock some things off of my "To do" list until he wakes up, and takes back my attention.

As our children grow, and naps throughout the day become rarer, we start to feel as if a workout is less likely to happen during the day. But, there are still plenty of opportunities to find that time...we just have to be creative, and set boundaries with our children so that they understand that WE need time for ourselves, too.  If we don't get that time to invest in ourselves, we could risk turning into scary "Mombies", and that's not good for anyone, is it?

So, how do we set boundaries, and distract our children so that we can fit in a quick workout? Here are some things that have worked for me:

1. Wake up early
This is easier said than done, but you CAN train yourself to get up earlier than the rest of the house to get your workout in.  Start small by getting up early 2-3 times during the week. Then, gradually add a day.

You could also try setting your alarm clock about 15-20 minutes early each week until you've trained yourself to get up about an hour earlier. Plenty of time to squeeze in your 30 minute workout, AND get a few things done around the house before everyone wakes up.

2. Get your children involved
Even if your child isn't crawling yet, or they are old enough to walk around and become easily distracted. Start having them join you for your workouts! Make it a game. If your child is not yet walking, lay them on their tummy on a blanket by where you're working out, and have them practice tummy time while you're squeezing your workout in. Do your planks or pushups over them, and give them kisses as you drop down to engage them. Hold them in your arms as weights when you're squatting and lunging.

My son is almost two, so he's constantly distracted by EVERYTHING that comes across his sight.  But, he has his very own yoga mat, and sometimes likes to join in with me during my workouts.  If he's not up to joining in, I have zero guilt about putting on Disney Jr for a half hour while I squeeze in my workout.  Laying out puzzles, books, or setting him up with his favorite toys are also great distractions.

3. Be flexible...
Getting our children involved, or distracting them with other things while you workout will not ALWAYS go as planned. I've had days where a 30 minute workout would turn into a 60 minute workout because I had to press pause a few times to get my son some juice, or find him a new book or puzzle to look at.

I've had workouts where my son would demand my attention, and depending on what the circumstances were, I would either have to give it to him OR remind him that this is "Mommy's Time", and that we'll focus on whatever it is that he needs or wants when I'm done.  Children can be just as flexible, if not more flexible, as we can be, so nine times out of ten, they will hear you when you tell them that it's time for them to play while you do!

What I've found with my son is that at first when I started incorporating workouts at home, it was difficult. He didn't quite get it, and would cry for my attention constantly.  It took some patience to work through that, and now he just gets it. He knows what exercise is, and he recognizes that when the Yoga Mat and weights come out, it's time for him to play with his toys or join in with Mommy.

4. Recruit some help
If you're making a real, honest effort to start working out and eat healthier, it's really important to let your husband or significant other in on your goals. If you have an idea as to what your workout schedule should look like, share it with your husband so that he can help with the kids during that time if need be.  Let him know that you'll be getting up earlier (if that's the time you choose), so that if the kids wake up during, he can coax them back to bed, or get up with them. TEAMWORK!

5. Leave your excuses at the door!
Excuses will not get your to your goal. We need to be bigger than them. Each day will not be perfect, and we'll need to work through barriers along the way, but omitting the "I can'ts", and the "I don't have time" excuses from your vocabulary is half the battle!  Focus on positive affirmations, keep an open mind, be flexible, and do the work...NO EXCUSE!

Work with me in one of my upcoming accountability groups, and start establishing a routine NOW! I can help you fit exercise into your schedule, and make it an ORDINARY part of yours, and your families day.

Are you with me?





You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.