RECIPE HIGHLIGHT: Sloppy Joes!

/
2 Comments
My husband has been asking if we can have Sloppy Joes for dinner for a while now...but what he's referring to, is the canned stuff.  I just can't do it! BUT what I can do, is make it myself! Haha!

I'm all for comfort food, especially as we head into the colder weather, but I'm not willing to sacrifice all of my hard work for even just one meal! And, to be honest? Food just tastes better homemade, am I right?


I adapted this recipe from Fixate's Cookbook by Autumn Calabrese. The original recipe called for Ground Turkey, but I knew my husband would turn his nose up to that, so I had to make a sacrifice somewhere!  I also served my husbands and sons in a more "traditional" fashion, and slopped the stuff between a burger bun! I enjoyed mine without the carbs, but it was just as tasty!

Servings: 4

Ingredients: 
1 tsp Olive Oil
1 Red Pepper, chopped
1 Medium Onion, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
1 lb Lean ground beef (I used 93% lean)
1 1/2 Cup Homemade Tomato Sauce
3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
1 Tbsp Raw Honey
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
Himalayan Sea Salt
Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Hot Pepper Sauce

Directions:
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the Red Pepper and Onion, and saute, stirring occasionally for about 6-8 minutes.
Add the Garlic, and saute another minute or two.
Place the Onion mixture into a medium bowl and set off the the side.
Cook the ground beef in the same skillet for about 8-10 minutes, breaking up into small bits.
Once cooked through, add the onion mixture, tomato sauce, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, honey, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper, and stir well.
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.

You can serve the sloppy joes over a slice of Ezekiel bread, in a sprouted grain tortilla, over zoodles, over whole wheat pasta, or over spaghetti squash (the options are endless!)

ENJOY!



You may also like

2 comments:

  1. What is the container count for this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The count is 3.5 Greens, 1 Red, and 1 tsp. If you had a slice of whole wheat bread of Ezekiel Toast, then add 1 Yellow. It's also great over Whole Wheat Pasta!!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.